My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, United States

I am now at the prime of my life and have been married for the past 25 years. Sickly at times, but wants to see the elixir vita, so that I will be able to see my grandchildren from my two boys.

Saturday, April 15, 2006

HOLY WEEK IN AMERICA

Dear Auntie Patti Koh,

I am working the whole week listening to all the complaints of all people who have traveled with the airlines that I worked with.

I was working during Palm Sunday, Ash Wednesday, Maunday Thursday, Good Friday including Satruday and of course Easter Sunday.

I miss those religious festivities back home. I like to see the different chruches open all its doors for those penitent called "Visita Iglesia". I miss the religious processions with the colorful "Carosas" some dating back during the spanish period made of silver and laden with "Santos" made of ivory and carved wood, with their antiquated outift. The early morning "Salubong" that is very much alive in the provinces. Not to mention the penitents who are whacking their whole body with their "Latigos" and those more mundane fanatics who will let themselves be crucified.

The business in Quiapo church is again in full swing on this Holy Days.

I am sure lots of people have already went up to Baguio City and the vendors and pickpoketers are having a grand time there. The beaches will be crowded I am sure and there will be lots of merriment on the beaches.

What I miss very much is the "Kakanin" that I can still remember my grandmother always cook for the Easter celebration. Likewise, I also remember when I was still a kid, my grandmother will invite her friends and they will start the "Pabasa" on the passion of Christ -- which instead of reading it, they are singing it in three notes tune on a five stanza coda. Contineuosly until the early hours of Saturday before the break of dawn for Easter Sunday.

Auntie Patti Koh, I miss those things. I don't know why I still cling to traditions back home when I have been living here in the states for more than 40 years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home