My Photo
Location: Chicago, United States

I am now at the prime of my life and have been married for the past 25 years. Sickly at times, but wants to see the elixir vita, so that I will be able to see my grandchildren from my two boys.

Friday, July 18, 2008


Dear Auntie Pattie Koh,

Finally, the dreaded hip replacement surgery was done last 01Jul.'08 and it was very painful. I had the Epidural anesthesia, instead of the General Anesthesia last Nov. when I had the Umbilical Hernia Repair. The anesthesiologist said it is better because the General Anesthesia has lots of side effects.

I stayed at the hospital for four days and decided to stay at my house and do the rehab, using my own bed instead of going to a nursing home rehab center. I really prefer my own bed. The nurse comes to the house everyday and the physical therapist to check of me. The nurse gest sample of my blood to see if my blood is thickening . The surgeon is very particular about it, because when the blood thickens he says I might have internal bleeding and it might enter my lungs and it will be very dangerous. The physical therapist do the regimentary exercises to strengthen my left hip, where I had the surgery.

I am now all by myself art the house. I told my wife to go to her office, since she has been taking care of me for the last two weeks and a half. She needed some break and change of atmosphere also. The post operative was very hard on me. Even if I have taken the pain killer, it is so painful, especially at night. I cannot sleep properly because my best position in bed is in the left lateral position, but that is where I had the surgery. My dog keeps me company when I am left at home, but the stillness and the quietness is so deafening. I cannot watch TV and movies all of the time, much more so read all of the time. I fell sleepy after I have taken the pain killer.

Now, I can move inside the house with the aid of the walker and the cain. I am religiously following the regimental exercises that has been given to me. I want to get well soon. I am still wearing the TED hose, to prevent blood clot in my legs. The nurse said the surgeon will ask me to remove it, maybe by the end of this month.

In the stillness of the house, I have all the time to reflect on so many things. I tried to go down and be able to see the front lawn of my house, which is now being taken cared of by my brother in law. It is so hard to go down stairs. We have 16 steps and the last four steps going up does not have any railing. This is the hardest part and the therapist was telling me to take some baby steps on these particular steps. But still I dare not come downstairs if I am by myself. I either call my eldest son to stop by and help me go down stairs or wait for my wife. They have to strap me the Gait Belt, in case I slip, they have something to cling on to support me and stop my fall.

I tell you, Auntie Pattie Koh, I now feel what it is to be handicap. I hope I get well soon and be able to move around easily just like before.

Sincerely Yours,



Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home